Monday, December 19, 2016

Tragedy Occurs; Community Takes Action

It was my full intention to have a wonderful post about my goals all written and ready for Friday morning. Sometimes life gets in the way of plans and schedules. My brother's home burned late on Thursday night and I got word the next morning. Him and his wife both were able to get out with only what clothing they had on and one cell phone belonging to the wife. And fortunately all three of their dogs made it as well!
Photo Courtesy of http://www.ojcv.org/simmons.html of Operation Jackson County Veterans. With great support from family, friends and community, my brother and his wife were able to stay the very next night on their own in another trailer that is in much need of repair. They were able to get water and power hooked up quickly and are replacing items such as light fixtures and hot water heater. I am friends with and on occasion join in my local Roane County Beehive Quilters at the Committee on Aging Center. We make and donate quilts to fire victims of our community. Although my brother is in another town, the lovely ladies were so kind to donate two beautiful quilts to help them make their home comfortable again. My brother was so appreciative not only of their work and contribution but of all the contributions the community has poured onto their threshold.
It is a wonderful feeling to be part of such a generous and loving community!

4 comments:

  1. I read this earlier today and I hope things work out for your brother and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your brother and his family are safe. Community spirit is a wonderful thing, and the quilts they were given are lovely. I hope they recover from their ordeal soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words~ They are doing well and life is starting to settle back into place for them~

      Delete
  3. so sorry your brother and family lost their home - wonderful gifts of the quilts and hope they are doing alright

    ReplyDelete