Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Selling A Quilt?

How Absurd!!! I love each and every quilt I've worked on! They become a piece of me. I cannot seem to let them go!

I've had several requests and my responses have been: I am new at this. I work a full time job and cannot afford the time to make a quilt for someone else. My skills lack the quality worthy of selling a hand made item. So many excuses but the major one is that they are an extension of my creativity.

Then I finally broke down and said YES to a wonderful lady. She really wanted one made by a friend to give to her new daughter in law.

I tried to find a way to say to myself "this one is not Mine." I asked my friend questions. What is the recipient's favorite colors? What style does she decorate with? Her age? Just to get a feel for the person. That helped in designing and choosing for another's personality. It worked! I was able to relinquish without regret! And the smile on her New Daughter In Law's face is priceless!







I must admit, I made several mistakes along the way but I chalk those up to individual expression and uniqueness!


18 comments:

  1. Oh so pretty! Very nice of you to do this for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I'm glad that you were able to to part with it. I can't imagine selling a quilt either, for all the reasons you listed above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After seeing the sparkling happiness it did make it quite satisfying. I will be doing it again. Choosing fabrics and designs for another made it fun too!

      Delete
  3. The only person who will see any 'mistakes' is you. The recipient looks so happy, and she'll smile every time she looks at her quilt. It's a very special thing to put so much time and effort into a gift and I'm sure your friend appreciates it so much. It's a lovely quilt - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow....awesome quilt....great job. Most quilts have at least one or two mistakes....or maybe just mine do. I sent you the gecko quilt pattern via your yahoo...hope you got it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will look for it. I didn't notice at first glance through emails but will check again. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  5. Making quilts on request can be so hard! It looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a challenge! I have truly enjoyed the process!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful design! Love the softness of the background and the sunny flowers on top. Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, I found the flowers in Pat Sloan's Teach Me to Applique book!

      Delete
  7. You have made a beautiful quilt, and one that I hope the recipient knows to care for and treasure. I have sold a few quilts on commission basis, and it is definitely a lot of stress. You don't want to do inferior work; you don't want to overcharge, yet you don't want to just give it away; there are a lot of factors to think about! Good for you! Your creation is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayne! I am looking forward to the next commission adventure. I've only sold 2 and I have really enjoyed the process of taking my view of another's wishes and incorporating it into a quilt.

      Delete
  8. Congrats! You should feel honored to be asked to make a quilt for others as you've got some beautiful work! Thanks for sharing on Midweek Makers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, my hopes are only to get better as I continue to practice!

      Delete
  9. Glad you took the plunge. Like you, I find it very hard to see one of my quilts depart, but many do as gifts and some as sales. - Remember not to expect perfection of your quilts. Handmade cannot be perfect and those little imperfections - besides the fact that they are seldom noticed by anyone but us - are valued and prove it to have been made with love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwweee, I just saw this post. Thank you so much for your encouragement.

      Delete