Thursday, February 21, 2019

Dust Off A Quilt Book Just in Time for Spring!

Today is my stop on the hop for  Dust off A Quilt Book Blog Hop Challenge with Bea at Beaquilter.  Easy - find an old quilting book,  Not so easy - decide which book and make a project from it! I've been wanting to do this for quite a while now and so glad that Bea offered us this challenge!

In a previous post I shared that my project would be in anticipation of Easter and Spring, I chose Country Quilts for Friends by Margaret Peters & Anne Sutton - Published by C&T Publishing, 2004.


I decided upon a lovely Spring quilt with a bunny in the center. And it has bees, I love bees! The fabrics chosen are  

             Flora and Fawn by Amanda Herring for Riley Blake Designs 


So Pretty! The quilt is going to be used as a wall hanging for Spring, then maybe gifted to my sweet little grand daughter.


I free motion quilted on my domestic with just randomness, some outlining and little flower drawings. See the bees in the quilting?
And I blanket stitched the binding on, I enjoy the vintage feel that a blanket stitch provides. Complete with some pretty, flowery pink fabric for backing.

And a GiveAway in Honor of Old Books
I'll be giving away one of my "old" books,  Designing Patchwork. Let me know in the comments below "How many quilts have you made with bees on it and the name of the pattern?" Give away will be open until Monday Feb 25th.
Winner of the Drawing from the comments section is Carla from Creatin' in the Sticks!!!!

 

And a Bonus, I used up more of the fabric from the bundle for a a Sister Quilt! I used Pat Sloan's Oh My Stars! pattern. This will be used in my recliner. Wink! It still needs quilted and binding added, so that will become a March Project OMG with Patty at Elm Street Quilts.
                                                         March Link Up
 
Amazingly there is still lots left over with this fun bundle, about 3/4 of yard went to my grandbaby for some adorable bibs! I can't wait to use more of this! It is definitely a win for Spring! Thanks for joining me at Dust Off an Old Quilt Book!

And don't forget to visit everyone that has put in so much effort spring cleaning at the hop!
Monday Feb 18th
Turid at densyendehimmel
Pamela at Pamelaquilts
Selina at Selinaquilts
Kathleen at Kathleenmcmusing
Tuesday Feb 19th
Jennifer at curlicuecreations
Stephanie at stephjacobsondesigns
Kathy at Kathysquilts
Shasta at high road quilter
Theresa at bumbleberrystitches

Wednesday Feb 20th
Sharon at Vrooman’s quilts
Suzy at Websterquilt
Nancy at patchworkbreeze
Karrin at karrinscrazyworld
Denise at craftraditions

Thursday Feb 21st
Anita at Domestic Felicity (you are here!)
Leanne at Devoted Quilter
Jennifer at Dizzyquilter
Lee Anne at Podunk Pretties
Lyndsey at Sew Many Yarns

Friday Feb 22nd
Bea at Beaquilter
Barbara at Bejweledquilts
Marian at seams to be sew
Brenda at songbirddesigns

47 comments:

  1. I have not made a "bee" quilt, but yours is adorable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make lots of quilts but don't recall a bee theme quilt. I believe in the past I used a novelty fabric with bee hives, bees & birdhouses. Cute bunny & star quilts. BTW you are juggling a lot & deserve a super mom star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a bee covered fabric in a camping themed quilt- one of our camping trips was full of bees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. uh oh! Camping...Lots of bees. hopefully it was a great experience!

      Delete
  4. oh your star quilt is gorgeous. i love those fabrics. and your bunny quilt is wonderful. i have never made a quilt with bees on it. maybe i need to make a table runner with some bees on it now. thanks for sharing today and inspiring. quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have sewn a "divided basket" that has a lot of bees on it. I, also sewed a dish drying mat that has bees on it. I might have made a potholder that includes bees, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a dish mat for the kitchen sounds like a wonderful thing to make with some scrappy leftovers!

      Delete
  6. I just love your bees and bunny....

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just adorable. As well as your star quilt. Love those fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honey Bee blocks have been the only buzzy seeing for me. Enjoy your new quilt from an old book!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet quilt. I don't need more books so please no need to include me in your giveaway. Let someone else win.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not done any quilts with bees. . . .but I did an embroidery piece and a crocheted doily with bee's on them for a swap. My partner loved bees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never made a quilt with a bee on it! But yours is really cute! Janice.snell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet little wall hanging with that bunny and beehive...so cute! To get an extra project is a huge bonus and it turned out really pretty. I love Amanda Herring's fabrics and you did a great job using them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, I think I will be using this fabric for a while. I ordered 2 yard bundles so there is a lot of it!

      Delete
  13. What a cute quilt. It's so super sweet with that bunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla, you are the lucky drawing winner of the OLD BOOK, I will be emailing you for your contact information.

      Delete
  14. I think there may only be one quilt with bees in the fabric itself, but a couple years ago I made a quilt called The Bee Charmers Flower Garden which had FMQ bees in all the flower blocks. Love springtime quilts, bunnies and other little wildlife motifs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I put a couple free motion quilted bees into the motif and love how it turned out!

      Delete
  15. Your quilt turned out wonderful. Thanks for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is adorable! I've seen a lot of quilts over the years, but I don't think I've ever seen a quilt with bees. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The past couple of years, it seems as if bees are making their appearance in a lot of quilts :)

      Delete
  17. Very cool bee quilt and recliner quilt! I haven't made a bee quilt yet! Enjoy your weekend! :-) :-) angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the bunny keeping track of your bees.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That turned out to be really pretty! Love the fabrics you used on it! I don't think I've made any quilts with bee in its name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shasta, I will be using this fabric for a while since I ordered a big bundle of it!

      Delete
  20. Pretty quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anita, your quilt is so pretty - your granddaughter will love it!

    ReplyDelete