Monday, March 20, 2017

Playing in the Scrap Basket ~

Seeing all of the leftovers from a project gives me the sense of being wasteful so I make an attempt at using up each and every piece of material I can. This week end I took a venture into the scrap basket. These are all very small scraps I use for embellishments most of the time.

But I did find a clever little pot holder in there!

I sewed up a few of the trim-offs from HST and did straight line quilting. The binding and batting were scrap too so I am just pleased with my weekend stitching! The mat finished out at about 10.5 x 10.5 inches~

11 comments:

  1. How fun to not only use up some HST trim offs but to use scraps for the batting and binding. I am always amazed by how the scraps seem to grow and how much effort it is to deplete them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have trouble tossing anything out! So Patty's prompts have been a fun way to dive on into my tiny scrap basket, unfortunately I have Many more than just in that small basket!

      Delete
  2. Scraps multiply at night-I'm convinced

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I must find more fun ways to use them up! Pat Sloan cuts many into 2" squares and uses them as leaders and enders when sewing to save scraps. I must do the same!

      Delete
  3. Potholders are a very efficient use of scraps and small orphan blocks. Congrats on a successful rescue of some HST trimmings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, there were probably 3 more potholders hiding in that basket but didn't get to them yet!

      Delete
  4. Great idea. I normally use my HST scraps for mug rugs and cushions. I'm afraid I don't keep really small scraps though as I just don't use them xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creating with scraps is like finding fabric! I wish I was better at using my scraps. I admit, there are a lot I toss because I'm not sure I would use them. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started keeping a small bag to the side to throw some of the smallest of bits into to use as a filler for donated doggie beds, I'm not really throwing anything away now~ Makes me happy

      Delete
  6. Scrap diving - my quilt life right now! Thanks for sharing on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing much more of your scrappy quiltness! Your works are so beautiful!

      Delete