Thursday, September 13, 2018

"Welcome to My House" in the Big Woods

I love my forever home. I wish I were there every day! I enjoy entertaining and having company over for tea, coffee, their favorite drink.

And my favorite room is my sun room. It was called the "Florida room" in the real estate agent's listing. Being in the Mountains of West Virginia, I just call it what it is.

Wish you could come sit with me and talk over some quilting plans, browse through patterns, search quilting recipes, you name it. Welcome!



I am a member of our local Quilting Bee called The Beehive Quilters~ We sew for charities and community fire victims.

Our sewing room is spacious - although we are outgrowing it. We decided to reorganize the sewing stations and condense fabric tubs. Our concentration is on building our stash of "completed quilts" inventory.

Going through some of the pieced squares I came upon a bunch of Pine Tree blocks and ONE house among the pounds of squares already completed. My hope was that these would come together to create a wonderful, masculine donation quilt as we have so few of those. 

The house does not resemble my home in any way~ but I do adore it. Maybe my honey will put one of these cute little cabins up on our little WV hill. It would be super cute hidden in a little corner of the woods. And how about that red door?


And look at those multi-colored trees. So gorgeous!

 
****Note******I am not the creator of the individual blocks themselves.
I researched and auditioned the blocks to determine a layout for them. A final vote was made with my Beehive Quilter friends to set the blocks on point. Look at all of the texture in each of the trees!

I was blessed to be able to put the beautiful blocks together to provide warmth to someone in need~ If you have blocks that are not necessarily in use for anything particular, consider donating some to your local charity quilters or better yet, create a quilt to donate to a fire victim in your community.

As this quilt is a collaborative effort, the top will be taken back to the Quilting Bees and will be decided whether to quilt it on the long arm or place it on the frame for tying. 

You can find similar patterns for the Pine Tree blocks at the following links or chose one of your favorites from your local shop, online shop or favorite designer for more inspiration if you decide to create your own "House in the Big Woods":

And for more inspiration and a totally "You Can Do It!!!" easy tutorial, see Amy Smart's Modern Christmas Tree tutorial at Diary of a Quilter.


I want to thank Carol of  Just Let Me Quilt for my participation in her blog hop this year! Take a minute to go visit her blog and enjoy the other "Welcome to My House" participants.
                                                        Be sure to visit all of them from this week's line up!
September 10
September 11
September 13
September 14

41 comments:

  1. This is a perfect quilt for a little cabin in the woods! All those lovely trees, with a welcoming little cabin. I'd stay there, then wander down and have tea with you. We'd talk all things quilts, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "forever home" and how sweet and welcoming it looks. I would want to be there all the time, too! Your quilting group sounds like such a giving bunch for making quilts to share with us. Your cabin in the pine trees will warm someone in so many different ways...it's beautiful! Thank you for hopping with us and sharing! You made my day a brighter place. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ―Charles Dickens

      Delete
  3. Your quilt is beautiful and definitely masculine enough for a man. The tree block is quite different from most pine tree blocks. I like it very much. The navy background is perfect for the colorful trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pine tree blocks are paper piece constructed. They are all so even and perfect!

      Delete
  4. You have a lovely forever home! Your quilt is so nice with a cabin in the woods and how sweet of you to donate your time and give to others in need. That is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ―Charles Dickens

      Delete
  5. I love how you took these blocks and made a charity quilt. It does indeed look like a good quilt for a man. Your home is beautiful and so are your quilt bee efforts. Thank you for sharing in the hop ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed sharing talents with the wonderful women I'm surrounded by!

      Delete
  6. Great quilt for a great cause! Sounds like you are part of a wonderful Quilting Bee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “The best things to do with the best things in life is to give them away.” — Dorothy Day

      Delete
  7. How wonderful that this quilt is going to such a good cause. It is a wonderful male quilt and will be treasured by its recipient. Thanks so much for its history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” — Winston S. Churchill

      Delete
  8. What a great quilt! Love the way you made the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your quilt, the house, the red door, and the multi colored trees. Trees are soon going to resemble those on your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice quilt. I like those trees. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful and cosy looking quilt top, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun quilt! It won't be long before the Forest Festival in Elkins, either. All the beautiful leaves are usually out for that event - or they used to be when I lived there long ago. I was born and raised in WV until I was 21 and moved away for a career. My 50th class reunion from high school in next summer. I can't decide if I can go or not. I have zero relationship with my two brothers. One lives in our home town and the other lives 30 miles away. One was very abusive and about two years ago I finally reported him to the sheriff. The statute of limitations has not expired but there is not enough evidence for prosecution. So, it's very difficult to think of returning. I have a cousin who has asked me to stay with her. She has said she'll go downtown with me if I want to go. I doubt that my abusive brother will dare come to town to sell his wares knowing that it's my reunion. I can handle seeing the other brother. If I go, I do not plan to tout the abuse and I don't plan to be quiet about it either. My therapist thinks there are probably others, too. Again, I adore your quilt. Thanks for participating in the hop. It's wonderful that you and your guild quilt for charity causes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is hard to make quilts for men, but you have nailed it. Love your cabin in the woods and also really appreciate that it is going to a worthy charity. Keep up the great work and the encouragement to others to do the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dione, surrounding myself with such talented and wonderful women encourage me to share in our success!

      Delete
  14. You have a lovely forever home, Anita!
    And your cabin in the woods project is wonderful! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benita, I do love being home. I'm surrounded by everything I love when I'm there. Memories, my chickens, flower and vegetable gardens, wildlife and many many other things I tend to forget about when I'm away on work assignment. Have a blessed day!

      Delete
  15. Love your little house out in the woods. Looks like you are ready for anything with a glass of wine 🍷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! funny apron quote "The wine regions of the house" and photos of all the rooms :)

      Delete
  16. Wonderful little cabin in the woods - my dream home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, this truly was the "dream home" when I was a little girl. I lived in NC and once a year visited my grandmother in a county adjacent. The house was a head-turner. I found it for sale on the INTERNET! We had to go see it... Home has never been so wonderful!

      Delete
  17. Love your house in the woods. This would be perfect in my cabin in the woods for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the day - of posting the Real Cabin in The Woods!

      Delete
  18. Heaven the neighbours are not too close. lol. Lovely quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No close neighbors ;) We are in a ridge and lovely. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  19. What a lovely quilt, and a beautiful house in the woods! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. House in the woods, love it! This is a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete